3.02.2012

The 12 Days of School (in a row, mind you....)

Just imagine the music and sing the tune along as you go....

On the twelfth day of school
My professors asked me to identify:

12 main categories of post-operative complications
11 or higher pH effects in the eye
10 mL/hr trophic feeding – parenteral or enteral?
9 – 0.9% NS IV fluid – hypertonic, isotonic or hypotonic?
8 megacodes for ACLS (VF, pulseless VT, PEA, asystole, bradycardia, tachycardia, MI, CVA)
7 steps to altered mental status (glucose, O2, pump, structural, infection, toxins, seizure)
6-0 suture over 3-0 suture
5 types of shock (hypovolemic, distributive, obstructive, cardiogenic, neurogenic)
4 suturing techniques (simple interrupted, vertical mattress, simple running, SQ w/ buried knots)
3 knot tying skills (two-hand, one-hand, deep tie)
2 surgery instruments (needle driver & forceps)
and an Admit Note for the hospital!

I shared this w/ my classmates and they got a pretty good kick out of it, but FINALLY we have a break, at least until Monday.  12 days of school in a row will take it out of you!  Another successful pass on my Surgery test today, then just 3 more classes until I start seeing my own patients.  INCREDIBLE!  

I just went through a month of Emergency Medicine and Surgery, both of which I thought I might want to go into upon graduation.  Not thinking Surgery as much, but DEFINITELY Emergency Medicine.  I had a blast this last month.  I learned AND practiced everything from casting broken bones to drawing blood to putting in IV's to suturing lacerations to advanced CPR to shocking cardiac arrests back to life to sterile-ly gowning & gloving in the Operating Room to caring for a trauma patient to taking care of Sim Man's acute asthma attack, acute heart failure and pulmonary embolism.  LOVED IT.  Here's some action shots.......
Remains of our IV's.  Should have taken the picture w/ them still in.......oh wait, too painful.  Get that thing off me!
Operating the cast saw
Can you tell which one is me??
First steps in treating a trauma patient
My suturing skills - Simple Interrupted, Running, Vertical Mattress and Subcuticular (can't even see this one it's so good!)

1 comment:

Elise said...

Oh man! I'm so glad this is cool to you because I just couldn't do it. You rock!