4.05.2013

Roatan - Day 5

Today I was assigned to triage and it was J’s turn to see patients.  Another nurse and I pumped those patients in and out in a good solid 3 hours and then I was left with nothing to do.  So I was roped into seeing patients again since there were at least 15 waiting.  It’s crazy here.  These people leave their mountain villages at 4 am to get here early to be one of the first people seen.  There are so many people they can end up waiting until after noon to even be seen by the doctor.  Then they might have blood work to do in the lab.  Then they have to wait for pharmacy to fill their prescriptions.  Just plan on spending the whole day at the clinic.  I guess that’s why there’s always a lady out front selling fresh fruit and pastelitos (fried goodness filled with chicken).  And then if you’re a gringo (I’m so surprised just how many there are on the island) you can pay a “rapid care” fee of $25 and skip to the front, don’t mind the little old lady with stomach pain and diarrhea that has been waiting for 3 hours.  It’s a crazy system.  At least their healthcare is very affordable - $3.50 for their whole office visit AND medications.

I double teamed with J during the afternoon to translate until a patient paid the rapid care fee just 15 minutes before our shift was supposed to end.  Chest pain x 3 days.  Previous history of a MI (heart attack).  We definitely want to see this.  Almost 2 hours later, we ruled out any cardiac etiology and sent her on her way.  At least we got an offer for free zip lining out of it.  No, but really, always happy to see patients, whether it’s in ghetto paradise or not.

Turns out it’s always a good idea to name drop Nurse Peggy.  She is the one that set up the clinic here so many years ago and everyone on the island seems to know her and appreciate the service she provides.  Our taxi cab driver to the beach wouldn’t take ANY money from us after he found out we were volunteers at the clinic.  The taxi cab driver on the way home seemed a little put out that he agreed to half the price he originally stated, then completely changed his disposition when he found out what we were doing on the island.

After I accidentally dumped J out of her wheelchair after running into a speed bump due to rubbernecking (thankful for the 5 local men who ran to the rescue), we found a prime spot to relax – beach chairs bolted down to a dock extending out into the bay.  Our new favorite tanning and snorkeling spot.

Dinner at Rotisserie Chicken proved delightful, filling my tummy with ¼ perfectly roasted chicken, coconut rice & beans, and fried plantains.  Reminds me of the Chicken Hut in Rocky Point.  We were heartily enjoying our meal until a dog came bounding by us to the kitchen and the cook rubbed her hands all over it.  Always a good time in Latin America.

Final mosquito & sand flea count = 71 bites (that spans 5 days… 5 more weeks sounds like el infierno…)

1 comment:

Sonya and Tyler said...

Youbarensuch a nut. I mean...you are such a nut. Ha. My typing. I'm glad you are documenting all this!!!!!!