After getting oriented to the clinic yesterday, I
was assigned to work with a PA today to see patients. I was very excited to work with her since she
has over 30 years of experience. We
teamed up – I did the history and physical while she typed the chart note. Toward the end of the day, we realized it
would be more efficient if we both saw our own patients and I presented my
patient to her with my assessment and plan.
Excited to start out this way tomorrow.
J was in triage and during a break discovered a lady outside the clinic
selling a whole bag of mangos for one dollar.
Yep, we will be buying mangos every day I think!
After putting in a full 5 hours of work (hey, I
didn’t get a break or even lunch during this time) and an hour or so catching
up on emails, we headed to the beach. We
took a taxi to West End which has all the shopping and restaurants, as well as
a very nice white sand beach. We walked
up and down the road following the beach, then found a perfect spot to spend
the rest of the afternoon. Fortunately
the water wasn’t very far from the road so it wasn’t a problem getting J down
to the water. I popped her up onto her
back wheels and wheeled her down.
Getting her OUT of the water was the problem. I tried to carry her – turns out she’s too
heavy for me, not because she’s a big person, but because I don’t have the
muscles I need (I haven’t worked out regularly since before Christmas,
ay…). So I wheelbarrowed her out of the
water onto her towel, then pulled the towel up the beach, a pretty steep
incline mind you. Then I had to wheel
her back to the road. Turns out a
wheelchair doesn’t move very well in the sand and turns out I’m not very
strong. I may throw my back out while
I’m here, but at least it’s for a good cause!
Also, turns out the sand fleas everyone has talked
about are indeed real. I was hoping they
wouldn’t dare ruin my ghetto paradise staycation, but it looks like they just
might. I am covered in bites, all
over. I thought they would just go for
my legs, but turns out they seemed to have liked my back quite a bit. Mosquitos and sand fleas are turning out to be
my nemesis.
We ate dinner at an outdoor joint called Monkey
Island, right next to the beach with a perfect view of the setting sun. J had heard good things about it from another
nurse at the clinic. I couldn’t decide
between coconut fish and a burrito, but fortunately I went with the fish. SUCH delicious fish! Coconut crusted w/ a coconut dipping sauce
accompanied by coconut rice & beans.
I will definitely be back! By the
way, just a warning… I may talk about food a lot on this blog. Food is pretty big in our family. My brother would remember our family
vacations by where we ate lunch or by what he ate for dinner, anything that
applies to the sense of taste :)
J was impressed with my taxi bartering
skills. I’ve been getting us good deals
on our fares. And after some chavo
(what’s the Hondureño word for dude?) tried to charge us 6 bucks and I cut the
fare in half, maybe I’ll shoot for a lower amount next time. I LOVE bartering. Why can we not do this in the States??
Oh, and by the way, I could really go for a bag of
red vines right now…
5 comments:
Oh man, your blog is going to make my day every day. I love reading about your adventures!!
Oh man, your blog is going to make my day every day. I love reading about your adventures!!
It's so fun hearing about your day! I am going to go through mango withdrawals when I leave Mexico...they taste like candy & are so sweet. I remember things I ate on vacation 15 years ago, so it sounds like our families are similar. :)
You make me laugh, Kristina. I had to laugh and laugh at your comments--such a big vocabulary for such a little girl! I guess it's more the way that you put things, like your trip to the beach.
I ate red vines this weekend!!! Ha. But u could go for some of your coconut fish! All the Hondurans probs think you are some loco white girls if they saw that beach scene!
Post a Comment