4.21.2013

Roatan - Day 22

This morning I got up bright and early to go to church.  Everyone was very friendly and I met a lovely American couple a few years older than me who asked me to take their picture outside the church.  They said they always take a picture such as this (to show their kids) and go on a vacation every year for their anniversary.  Love it… that’s what I want to do!  During Sunday School, I got a message from J saying that no one came to pick her up to take her to the resort (we always get a free day at Infinity Bay every Sunday).  So I stepped out to call Peggy, but no answer.  After not understanding much of the lesson (that’s what I get for sitting on the back row) and J stranded at home, I just headed back to figure out how we could get to Infinity Bay ourselves.

We hailed a taxi, who turned out to be my “friend” from last week that I was giving a hard time about charging too high of prices.  We had a nice chat about his previous two girlfriends (yes, simultaneously) and then about his kids.  We are now good friends, even after telling him having two girlfriends at once is a huge no-no. 

THE AFTERNOON WAS AMAZING.  Never have I seen such a beautiful beach.  And the resort itself was gorgeous.  In all my beach travels, I have never stayed at a resort.  I think I could definitely stay at one for a week, never set foot on other soil outside the resort, and be completely happy.  Such a different place than the rest of the island.  The rest of the island is ghetto paradise, but this is just paradise in the truest sense of the word… white sand beach lined with palm trees and crystal clear blue water. 

The snorkeling was amazing.  You would swim between giant walls of coral teeming with schools of fish until you arrived at the edge and looked down into deep dark abyss.  Sharks might be lurking there… that’s what I was trying to avoid thinking anyway.  Every time we go snorkeling I see some new sea creature… this time it was a turtle!  I wanted to touch it (which is illegal) so good thing it was too far down for me to dive.  You see, I’ve been having a bit of a hard time trying to propel myself downward very far.  My fins get stuck out of the water and I don’t go very far before I have to breathe again.  Meanwhile, ER #1 and ER #2 are diving 40 feet down, going through tunnels in the coral.  Good thing I still have a few more weeks to practice.

We lazed another hour or so on the beach chairs before I went to go play some beach volleyball.  This time I nailed it… lots of good spikes, amazing blocks and strong serves.  They call me Xtina.  However did they know that was ACTUALLY my real nickname?  I’m pretty sure M (professional volleyball player) was impressed… that alone makes it a good day.

On the way back home, we ALL piled into the red pickup truck.  M sat on the passenger side with J’s wheelchair on his lap, 4 of us ladies in the second row back and about 10 in the back, no joke.  D was willing to make 2 trips, but we all made it safely in one.  SO ready to go back next weekend!

2 comments:

Kathy C. said...

Are you two sure this is an actual clinical rotation? Sounds like a wowser of a vacation to me!

Sonya and Tyler said...

You are seriously living the life!