As you may or may not know, I love mtn. biking. I acquired this guy just last summer and take it out as often as I can. My favorite trail that I have found so far is the old dirt road along the west side of Deer Creek Reservoir. It's a good workout with some good ups and downs.So I've branched out the last couple of weeks and have tried some new trails. I was told this particular one we went on just this last Thursday was manageable and not at all hard core. The current state of my body would tell me otherwise. We went to the top of the Alpine Loop in American Fork Canyon and did a trail up there. It was gorgeous with great views and mountain vegetation. The trail was a bit technical with lots of rocks and steep inclines and drops. I was doing pretty good however, that is until I pushed my right brake too hard. This was the result........
Not only once, but twice!! I WENT OVER THE HANDLEBARS. Fortunately I didn't land face first. I feel for this guy. I feel for myself more though. Turns out most bikes have the rear brake for the right hand, but for some reason my right hand leads to the treacherous front brake. Funny thing is I knew that, but that was just my first instinct - to grab the right hand harder. And you think I would have learned after the first time. Most definitely not! Not only did I eat it pretty badly, but my bike also landed on top of me. I have some pretty bad scrapes and bruises as a result, not to mention I'm super sore all over, even still. Nobody even saw me either! That would take the cake.
Either I learned one of two things: Eating it wasn't really that bad and mtn. biking isn't really that scary OR I will never do that again, or at least be less inclined to bike such technical trails. They both have their downfalls - being too risky OR losing out on opportunities for improvement. I would say it's not really that bad, but you should still be cautious. Wear your helmet for crying out loud! I should be the one talking, I never have.....that was the first time. Thank goodness! Have you ever crashed on your bike?

1 comment:
You and all your adventures...doesn't surprise me in the least!!!
Post a Comment